How to increase sales in online store?
Creating an online store can be divided into two stages:
1. Technical Issues
a) design and construction of a website,
b) organization of suppliers, couriers, payment and service shop,
c) introduction of products.
2. Sales optimization
a) conversion optimization (landing page),
c) building relationships with customers.
Despite appearances, the technical aspects are the easy part. This can be done fairly quickly – but unfortunately the “finished” shop will not be noted visitors nor sales.
Sales optimization is an ongoing process – and if it is made with the head, it can give great results. To increase sales, care must be taken simultaneously of two factors:
- increasing website traffic,
- acquiring of new customers,
- retention of already acquired customers,
- increasing conversion (how many % of visits culminates in buying).
The purpose of an online store is to attract as much as possible so called good traffic – it means users actually interested in the offer and purchase. If these kind of users already visit the shop, you need to persuade the greatest part of them to buy.
Poorly made online store will not provide the income, even if it is visited by thousands of customers. Therefore, You need to take care about increasing traffic and increasing conversion simultaneously and equally.
Conversion Optimization = landing page
Laymen may think that home page is the most important thing of online store. The most important are the product pages. This is where internet users get directly from Google and price comparison sites. Well-made product page should be sufficient to achieve the goal – the sale.
Ideally, the client should carry out the entire process of purchase on one site – without browsing categories, login or adding to the basket. Such a self-sufficient page is called a landing page (destination page). Landing page are ideal to increase sales, optimize marketing campaigns and positioning.
Each internet shop should have a lot of landing pages. It can be added at any stage of functioning of any shop by Landingi.com applications.
How to increase conversion on a landing page?
Here are a few key principles:
- Landing pages for key products – for all key products You should create a separate destination pages (landing pages). This could be the most popular products, the most expensive, or those with the highest profit margin. As sales increasing, it is worth to create a landing pages for all products, and then focus on creating landing pages for various target groups of customers.
- Call to buy (call to action) – each landing page should contain a clear, large, conspicuous purchase button (e.g. “Buy Now”) and a large, short text in the imperative, encouraged or even forced to make a purchase.
- Above the breaking screen line – the most important space on the page is above the breaking screen line, which is visible without scrolling the page. In this space purchase button, call to action and encouraging element (such as an image, the list of benefits) must be placed. You should remove all unnecessary elements from there – navigation, descriptions, links – anything that might distract from the purchase button.
- Inverted pyramid – below the breaking screen line is the place to point out, descriptions, additional photos, details of payment, delivery, etc. The most important informations (namely those that motivate the customer to buy) must be placed at the beginning. The longer the landing page and the more content it contains, the better – but you have to remember that people generally do not read the whole text. It is all about persuade a curious of our reliability, build a position of (impression of) expert and build a content for the purpose of positioning (SEO). Between the texts on the bottom of the page, You should clearly repeat a call to buy and “Buy Now” button.
- Unique description – do not even think about copying descriptions from other pages or from a catalog supplied by wholesalers. Description must be unique, written specifically for Your online store. There are two reasons: Google treats the copied descriptions as a “duplicate content” and recognizes the store as another clone, which does not bring anything new. In addition, Internet users are usually comparing offers from a wide variety of shops. If all descritptions are the same – they choose the one with the lowest price. However, if Your description will be unique, there is a great chance that they will choose You, even if the price is higher than prices of competition.
- Language of the benefits – the landing page must convince the customer that he will benefit from buying Your product. Technical specification or model name does not say anything to the most of people – more important are the emotions, promises and benefits. Pay directly to the user and prove to him that he must buy this product – preferably immediately.
- Competence – if You want to sell something more complicated than an egg, You need to make impression of competence on customer (even if it’s just an impression). The website should look professional, photos must be beautiful, and descriptions must be specific, accurate and written with correct language, without grammatical or stylistic mistakes.
- Buying without registration – You do not even imagine, how getting rid of need to register and log in to the online store affects the sales growth. The majority of Internet users, if only they have the opportunity to buy a similar product on Allegro, in a large online store or in the store, in which they are first time – choose Allegro or a large store – because they already has an account there. But if your purchasing process is an immediate and maximally simplified – without logging and giving a lot of redundant data – you will get a lot more customers.
- Online payments – there is nothing worse than a customer who has already decided to purchase a product in Your store, but there is no possibility to pay for it. You need to enable as many ways of payment as possible – from any bank or payment system. The more automation, the better – the whole process should take place on one page, preferably in one or two steps.
- Additional sales – to the Customer who decided to buy one product, you can quite easily sell something else – especially if You convince the Customer with an amazing opportunity. It suggests to offer such an additional sale just before the payments and in e-mails that are sent automatically to the customer who made the purchase.
- Navigation, categories and searching tool – there is no doubt that in online store must be some kind of order and categorization – but never assume that user will be stucking for another sub-categories to find the right product. Most of your customers will get directly to the product page (landing page) – You should not put a complicated navigation there. Instead, it is worth to make a special subpage with internal products searching tool – with the ability to sort and filter by price and parameters.
- Promotions, bestsellers – in the bottom of the landing page is the place to offers loosely connected with the main product. This part is so called “last resort” – if the customer has not yet decided to purchase the product, you can try to tempt him with something else.