The main advantage of marketing automation is the automatic gathering and processing of data about your customers in the place of its manual attendance and analytics. Most marketing automation campaigns are based on channeling a personalized message through e-mails. That’s why e-mail marketing and your own e-mail list plays a key role in marketing automation.
How to start marketing automation?
To start marketing automation operations, you don’t have to buy expensive software. Most e-mail marketing systems will allow you to create a behemoth, offering integrations with popular tools like Google Analytics, lead generator, SMS senders, social media platforms, CRM systems or ERP systems.
Your basic goals should be a constant building of your own e-mail list. This will be a ‘storage space’ for people that trusted you enough to leave their e-mail for further contact purposes. With this list, you can discover users’ preferences, personal information (for example age, sex, etc.) and especially all the things that they are interested in on your website. Based on all this information, you can create tailored e-mail communication strategies. Content from e-mail campaigns can be mixed with other actions, paid or social, creating automated and personalized marketing campaigns.
Why should you build your own e-mail list?
Roughly 2% of website visitors will make a purchase during a particular session. The other 98% will leave the site, not taking any kind of action. This is a great missed opportunity that begs for converting visitors into marketing leads. You can make this happen by putting a newsletter sign-up on your page.
By analyzing data from e-mail campaigns and comparing them with data from other marketing operations, you will know your users and gain the trust needed for making a purchase in your store and nowhere else.
Your e-mail list will stay your property forever. You have control over subscribers, more than you have over social media fans or Google users. Not only is organic range dropping, but also users are becoming distrustful of content catered to them by brands. All this leads to dire straits for branded content being noticed.
The biggest advantage of your list is the voluntary aspect of it. People just want to stay in touch, use it. If you steer communication in the right direction, it will hit individuals interested in it, and that means profits for your company.
Good practices for your list
Gather necessary legal agreements
May 2018 is the start of a new European Parlament law regarding safety of personal data, called General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). That means strict rules regarding gathering and processing. The most important part in GDPR is the user agreement when it comes to signing up for something. Agreements must be:
While gathering users for a newsletter, it’s enough to check in your mailing system the option for double opt-in sign-up. This means sending a message with an activation link and a request for confirmation during the sign-up process. You can sign a user up for a newsletter only when he clicks the activation link.
For more on how to get ready for GDPR, you can read about it on Computer World’s page. Also, wait for our original, special content on the topic.
Take advantage of your best content
Think about e-mail gathering in the context of a barter exchange. Internet users will gladly give you their data if they receive the promise of interesting and valuable content. No one wants to sign up for boring sales offers.
An easy way to verify content that is most popular among your visitors is the traffic under Google Analytics. Log into the panel and click:
Behaviour -> Page content -> All web pages
You will find the list of most visited subpages on your page and here you can place your newsletter sign-up button.
Good form for a newsletter sign-up:
- it’s easily visible
- doesn’t distract the user from making purchases
- it has a visible closing button on a pop-up and has capping set in the right way (one display per one user)
- is optimized for mobile devices
Not breathing content marketing? It’s worth considering, but first, let’s talk about something else…
Create a landing page optimized for sign-up
Build your e-mail base by designing a landing page optimized for sign-up. It’s the most effective method for gathering e-mail addresses from people interested in your newsletter.